Varanasi to get model skill training centre:
- Varanasi will soon get a model skill training centre which will offer courses across different trades and job roles and create employment opportunities for the local youth, Union minister Rajiv Pratap Rudy said .
- Union Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Rudy held a meeting with representatives of government ITIs and training institutes for proper implementation of Prime Minister Narendra Modi"s "Skill India" mission.
- He said this move was part of the upcoming National Youth Festival, which is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
- Rudy also met representatives of several NSDC-affiliated training partners.
- The training partners of National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) will help set up these model training centres.
Sudarsan's sand Santa in Limca Book of World Records :
- Odisha's eminent sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik on Tuesday claimed that the sand Santa Claus he created this Christmas has found a place in Limca Book of World Records.
- On Christmas eve he had had created a 45ft high sand Santa Claus at Puri beach, which, Pattnaik claimed was recognised as the "largest sand Santa Claus as of today" by the Limca Book of World Records.
- Limca Book's senior editor Arthy Muthanna Singh through an e-mail informed Pattnaik.
- Pattnaik, who was assisted by 20 of his students at the Sudarsan Sand Art Institute of Puri, took 22 hours in two days to build the mammoth structure which is on display at the beach from December 24 till January 1.
- Sudarsan had already created eight world records registered with the Limca Book of World Records.
Infosys plans campus in Warangal :
- The Telangana government's efforts to take information technology beyond Hyderabad and expand to Tier-II and Tier-III cities in the state is set to get a boost with IT bellwether Infosys planning a campus in Warangal.
- The facility on the lines of its Mysuru campus will come up in the second biggest town in the state, about 150 km.
- This was discussed during Infosys's chief executive officer Vishal Sikka's meeting with Information Technology Minister K.T. Rama Rao on Monday, sources in the state government told IANS.
- The proposed campus in Warangal will serve as a centre for the IT major to train fresh engineering graduates.
- Located over 350 acres, Infosys's Mysuru campus is home to thousands of trainees and employees.
Karbonn launches new smartphone :
- Domestic handset-maker Karbonn launched two new features rich smartphones Titanium Moghul and Titanium S205 GB competitively priced at Rs.5,790 and Rs.6,790, respectively.
- Seeking to strengthen Karbonn's Titanium smartphone series, the new offerings are perfect combination of style with substance, a company statement said.
- 2GHz Quad Core processor.
- It comes packed with 12.7 cm qHD IPS Capacitive screen, Dragon trail scratch resistance glass, 8MP auto focus with LED flash back camera, 3.2MP front camera, and 2000 mAh long lasting battery with energy to last all day and then some.
- To ensure prompt multitasking and lag-free experience, the dual SIM phone has 1GB RAM and 8GB ROM which is expandable to 32 GB.
- It operates on Android 4.4 Kitkat.
Kabul opens new building for defence ministry :
- The newly-constructed building of Afghanistan's defence ministry opened recently.
- The building was constructed at a cost of $200 million and was financed largely by the US, Xinhua reported.
- President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani said opening of the new building of the defence ministry was a stride toward professionalising the Afghan national army.
- The Afghan president also expressed gratitude to the US and all those countries which have contributed troops to the NATO-led mission in Afghanistan, and which have backed Afghan stabilization and the reconstruction process.
- Afghan acting minister of defence Mohammad Masoum Stanikzai described terrorism as a common enemy, noting that overcoming the terror menace requires regional and global cooperation.
Ramkumar, Somdev-Jeevan get Chennai Open wildcards :
- Ramkumar Ramanathan and the tennis pair of Somdev Devvarman and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan got wildcard entries for the 20th edition of the $480,000 Chennai Open that will be held from January 4 to 10 at the Nungambakkam Stadium.
- In the men's singles main draw, local boy Ramkumar, with a current world ranking of 248, will be participating here for the fifth year in a row.
- Earlier this year, he reached a career-high of No.208.
- Ramkumar, who has been supported by TNTA for many years, will have N Sriram Balaji as his doubles partner.
- Ramkumar, who eked out a few memorable wins in the season 2015.