Thakur becomes BCCI president :
- Anurag Thakur was today unanimously elected as the second youngest BCCI President, while Ajay Shirke was chosen as Secretary in a smooth transition of power at a time when the world's richest Cricket Board is sailing through choppy waters.
- The 41-year-old Thakur replaced Shashank Manohar who quit the position to take up the ICC chairman's job.
- The Maharashtra Cricket Association chief and business magnate Shirke expectedly filled in the Secretary's post which was left vacant by Thakur's resignation.
- Senior BCCI vice-president C K Khanna chaired the Special General Meeting (SGM) and announced Thakur's name for the top job.
Kiran Bedi is new L-G of Puducherry :
- BJP leader and former IPS officer Kiran Bedi was today appointed as Lt Governor of Puducherry, a post which was under the additional charge of Lt Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Island for nearly two years.
- Governor of Puducherry with effect from the date she assumes charges of her office.
- The appointment came three days after the Congress-DMK alliance won 17 seats in the 30-member state Assembly.
- AIADMK, which contested the elections on its own, won four seats while BJP could not get even a single seat.
Nature-lovers launch birding app :
- In a noble effort to create awareness among people about ecological conservation, a group of nature enthusiasts today launched an application which will provide information about 250 birds found in the neighbourhood.
- "We found out that there are a lot of birds found in natural habitats right next to concrete jungles and started documenting those.
- These habitats are increasingly threatened by the developmental works,"Kuldeep Chaudhari, a resident of Vasai, told.
- After being pleasantly surprised to hit the 250 mark, they decided to launch the "Vasai Birds App" for Android users on the occasion of World Biodiversity Day.
India-Pakistan student exchange programme gets innovation award :
- The "Student Exchange Program", a year-long dialogue comprising a sustained exchange of written, visual and oral histories connecting school children aged between 10-14 years across the cities of India and Pakistan was initiated by city-based NGO "Routes 2 Roots".
- The NGO has recently been awarded the "The Inter-cultural Innovation Award 2016" from United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) in Baku, Azerbaijan for this programme.
- In its first year in 2010 the program attracted between 2400 children from 10 schools across four cities of India and Pakistan.
India to test reusable launch vehicle technology :
- India will test a reusable launch vehicle technology (RLV) space agency ISRO developed to reduce cost of firing rockets to deploy satellites in orbit.
- "A mini-rocket with the winged reusable launch vehicle demonstrator (RLV-TD) on its top will lift-off during the launch window between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. depending on wind and weather conditions," Indian Space Research Organisation director Devi Prasad Karnik told IANS here.
- A successful demonstration of the indigenously-developed technology will qualify India to enter the elite club of space-faring nations like the US, Russia and Japan, which have developed and used RLVs for their space missions over the years.
- The 9-metre rocket with a mass weight of 17 tonnes, including nine tonnes of solid propellants, will take off vertically from ISRO's spaceport at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh, about 80 km northeast of Chennai.
- The ISRO has designed and built the 1.7-tonne winged RLV-TD as a flying test bed to evaluate technologies developed to reduce the cost of launching rockets for carrying satellites into polar and geo-stationary orbits.